Tuesday, July 14, 2009

Husband encouragement challenge

This concept is a new one for me -- "husband encouragement challenge." I did a little with it several years ago, but my My daughter and my daughter-in-law have been faithfully including ways to honor their husbands. Their joy spills out as they share something special they have done, thought, or prayed for their mate.

Today as I was grocery shopping, a light bulb popped on for me. What could I do to honor my husband -- to participate in encouraging my husband?

Hubby is at a conference right now, scheduled to return home on Wednesday. My Wednesday, however, is packed with meetings in the afternoon and early evening... So what could I do special to welcome him home?...

Well, what about dinner for him -- in the fridge such that he can eat it cold (you know, a salad or something) or warm it up? How about German potato salad with sausage...? Maybe add a lettuce salad with sliced tomato from the garden... And for dessert cherry fruit pizza?

You know what I found as a result of taking the challenge (again)? I found that I was excited about showing someone love. I was excited about focusing on someone or something other than myself. I was excited to think of other things that might show Hubby he is valuable to me.
_____
The best closing to this post would be scripture that ties my actions back to what we are instructed to do or in showing God's love by serving others. But it is late and I'm tired and I don't have a scripture to share. Any thoughts????

3 comments:

In Light of the Truth... said...

what about a plate of cookies with a nice note next to it saying that you missed him and you're glad he's home! just skip all the dinner plans and go straight to the dessert! =) actually, that cherry dessert sounds really good!

Holly said...

I love both ideas! To me, it's kind of hard, because my natural "loving" mechanism is words of encouragment so I think more along the lines of saying, writing and doing creative ideas to actually TELL Paul how much I love him and what he means to me, even blogging about him! But I'm somewhat at a handicap when it comes to actually DOING something for him - cooking something special, serving him in some special way, etc - which is how HE expresses love. I always have to think really really hard and "get up my nerve" in some ways to figure out how to practically love and encourage him... I like your idea, I probabl wouldn't have thought of it myself!!

Servant Becca said...

Dinner was a hit! I substituted link sausage for bacon and added a hint of finely diced green pepper. I loved the recipe because I could click a button and have smaller serving size for 2.

I ended up making fruit pizza using cookie dough as the crust. Lots of cherries on top (since that is Hubby's favorite fruit) plus some mandarine oranges and a few banana slices to add color and texture.

Check the potato dish out at:
http://allrecipes.com/Recipe/German-Potato-Salad/Detail.aspx