Tuesday, October 20, 2009

Not the owner

Note: All quotations are from "Shaken Not Shattered" by Matthew Hagee, published by Charisma House, 2009.

When I was in Kansas City for a conference I found myself searching TV early on Sunday morning for a glimpse of worship. Our daily session had a starting time of 8:00 sharp, so visiting a church for Sunday morning worship was not an option. As a possible alternative, I stood with remote in hand cruising the options for worship with doubts of success. Fortunately, I landed on a sermon by Matthew Hagee. The message was clear and energized me for the day.

The topic was "Shaken Not Shattered" with a clear message that no matter what trials and tribulations we experience, God is still God. He is Unshakable. He is Almighty.

Just recently I purchase his book that expounds that sermon. Although I am not finished with it, I already see areas that need my repentance, forgiveness, and humility.

One point is that priorities need to be kept straight. God is in control and when I try to do things my way, taking charge of all areas of my life, I shift Him out of the picture and put myself in the driver seat. "In truth, the more we try to take over our lives, the more totally out of control we become on every level... However, no matter how much power and influence you possess, you will always serve in the capacity of management and not in ownership... "

Indeed, "God is not here to fit into our busy lives and exist only when and where it is convenient for us. Remember the first commandment? 'Thou shall have no other gods before Me.' That means that in order for the King of kings to rule in our lives, our personal desires have to be dethroned.... You and I are here to function on His schedule for His glory and to pursue His purpose."

As I scramble this semester with many hours of prep, grading papers, and responding to students too often I have left out studying His word, praying, or singing songs with rejoicing. He had been sent to the back burner as my efforts focused on just keeping up with the daily requirements.

Had I asked for His help and blessing on my time? Had I set aside that one more check to my online classes to spend some time in His Word or say a prayer or listen for His voice?

Put Him in control.... I'm not the owner, He is. All that I have is His...

Prayer:
Oh Lord, help me to be humble, recognizing you as Maker, Unshakable, Almighty. As I try to take control and be strong in ways that take my focus off of You, help me to see my selfishness. Help me to remember that I am not the owner, but simply the manager that needs directives through prayer to carry out Your plan.

Work humility, gentleness, kindness, and self-sacrifice into my daily walk with you. Forgive me for finding other things more important in my time to the point of leaving you out of regular study and devotion. Help me to serve You and put no other gods above you...

Thank you for messengers along the way to remind me of Your ways. Thank you for brothers and sisters in Christ to help guide and encourage. Help me give all that I have back to You -- time, talents, skills, love, money, spaces... all oh, Lord.

In Jesus' name... Amen....

No comments: