Tuesday, May 5, 2009

Not a dancer

Last night watching "Dance with the Stars" I realized that I am not a dancer. How did I figure that out? Well, you see, I just got my hair cut. Not short (well, OK, maybe short), but it is definitely not long and flowing such that when I move around the room in time with the music it flips easily from side to side....

So, nope, not a dancer.

Of course, I can't do those lovely graceful steps or light and bouncy around the room either, but that is another story in itself.

We'll just leave it that I am not a dancer, because my hair is short.

But what am I then? What label can I put on myself that would be a drawing card for conversation or for others to have something to talk about?

What would I want people to say? That I am a great mom? Great teacher? Wonderful listener? Quickly offers helping hands? Cheerful? Beautiful? (hahaha -- enough with what I MIGHT be...)

As I look at qualities or elements that are important to me, I realize that the one thing I hope people see is that I love God... And that I follow Him... And serve Him... That my life is not about me... But Him...

By God's grace, may I each day live such that others might see Him working in me. The church at Colossae was encouraged to "be filled with the knowledge of His will in all spiritual wisdom and understanding, so that you may walk in a manner worthy of the Lord, to please Him in all respects, bearing fruit in every good work and increasing in the knowledge of God; strengthened with all power, for the attaining of all steadfastness and patience; joyously giving thanks to the Father, who has qualified us to share in the inheritance of the saints in light." (Col. 1:9-12)

So... today I will not dance (with a star -- and be on TV), but I will dance in my heart for the Lord (even with short hair). May others see God's love in action -- through me... with short hair.

No comments: