Saturday, June 13, 2009

Thankful Thursday


Ok, it isn't Thursday, but I'm still thankful. Actually, I have been thinking of what am I thankful for -- that I could include something here no the board. Here goes.... I am thankful for:
1) No train at railroad tracks. On average, a train passes through town 1 every 15 minutes. Typically, there is one that gives everyone the opportunity to stop -- especially when running late... I was running late, so I figured I'd be stuck there for at least 5 minutes. No stop... I was on time for an appointment.
2) Glasses /contacts. With that resource I can see like a normal person. I recognize that being able to see 20 / 20 with visual correction does not necessarily make ME normal... But at least I can see...
3) Internet / web connection. Through this wonderful mode of communication I can "chat" with family and friends, teach courses from the comfort of my recliner, and search for answers to questions. Communication is wonderful!
4) Sewing machine, fabric, and patterns. I love to sew and am thankful that in 1979 (give or take a year) I was given a sewing machine. It was not a new machine, but pretty close. It is not any newer now, but it still works just fine. This summer I have actually done a few fun things without a time pressure. And, now I am in love with sewing all over again.
5) Slight breeze, sunshine, flowers, trees, birds, and bunny rabbits. Quite a list of beautiful things outside, and more could have been added, but I picked the first 6 that came to mind.
6) Rocking chairs and swings. Just sitting and rocking -- slowly moving back and forth can make time seem to stand still. That unhurried atmosphere that encourages simplicity is welcome when classes and committees and activities require thought and planning and coordination of efforts. But rocking does not require thinking or planning, but can simply be enjoyed for a moment or an hour.
7) Answer to prayer... Last Sunday I substituted for Connie at church and had my usual shaking like a leaf for the prelude and first hymn. This is typical, but believe me not the preferred for me or anyone close enough to see me. Our prayer of confession was, "Triune God, you dance among us in joy, inviting us into the mystery that you are. Yet we want understanding; we want answers. Forgive our thickness. Encircle us in your oneness, and teach us to trust you with abandon, as we invite others to join the dance; through Jesus Christ our Lord. Amen." I thought of the Lord and that phrase "encircle us in your oneness..." And I prayed again. "Lord encircle me with your oneness that my hands would be still and my heart calm as I lift my music and heart before you."
And my hands were still. I played without any further shaking, and my heart was filled with joy as I knew the reality of God with me.
Thankfully, Connie is back for this Sunday. But now I know without a shadow of a doubt that God can do miracles -- even within and for me.

And I am thankful.

No comments: