Tuesday, December 15, 2009

Just say, "no"

I praise God for His mercy, His love, His giving me strength when I felt like quitting. Whew... The semester is almost finished. I love my job, don't get me wrong. But this semester was a challenge from the beginning. To best meet the needs of students, I couldn't let any of the classes on the schedule get canceled even though we did not have an instructor for one. So... I took that additional class section.

Well, I shouldn't have.

I had too many hours, so I spent every waking minute checking discussion boards (for two online courses), grading papers, responding to students, preparing for class, plus taking care of other duties that come with the territory.

So what good came from this stressful semester?

I have now added a new word to my vocabulary. It's not a very long word, but it has much meaning. You probably already know just from reading the little to this silly blog posting.

"No."

Sometimes we must step back and realize that the best thing I can do is NOT do something.

Sometimes we just need to stop the rat-race and review what does God want? How can He use me? What direction does He have for me?

I thought of the scripture, "Be still and know that I am God." (Ps. 43:10)

Yeah... be still....

Psalm 43:1-3, 7-11
God is our refuge and strength, a very present help in trouble.
Therefore we will not fear, although the earth should change, and though the mountains slip into the heart of the sea;
Thou its water roar and foam, though the mountains quake at its swelling pride...

The Lord of hosts is with us; the God of Jacob is our stronghold.
Come, behold the works of the Lord, who has wrought desolations in the earth.
He makes wars to cease to the end of the earth; He breaks the bow and cuts the spear in two; He burns the chariots with fir.

"Cease striving and know that I am God; I will be exalted among the nations, I will be exalted in the earth."
The Lord of hosts is with us; the God of Jacob is our stonghold.

And for me to be still, maybe I do need to just say, "no".

No comments: