Sunday, December 13, 2009

Thankgiving - even in December

This evening thoughts flooded my brain (yep, that doesn't happen often, does it...) On this weekend of enjoying grandkids -- overwhelmed by the activity level a billion times above our normal around here -- joy in the wonder of small things they enjoy or find amusing -- the beauty of their smiles at us or each other -- the awe of their affection toward one another, life goes on in reality. The innocence of a child hushed with the death of a person at the other end of life's spectrum.

This lady found a few months ago that she was actually quite ill. Her husband had gone through many tests and diagnosis for his maladies, but it was her quietly supporting him in the background that had much more serious threats to her survival. And just Saturday she went to her eternal home with our Lord and Savior.

Why I am thankful? That perfect celebration the fourth Thursday in November has come and gone. Why am I focusing on thanksgiving rather than the birth of Jesus -- King of kings and Lord or lords - -the Messiah?

I am thankful because of Jesus coming as a babe.

As I watched Eli and Hannah these past few days, I saw the love that can be shared - not only from adults to children, but from children back to the adults and from child to child. I saw also the natural, human element of sin -- not only in the children as they fought over a toy (or knob on the kitchen cabinets), but also my sin as I responded not always as I knew I ought or wanted. God came to earth as one of us -- taking on the human nature, but rising above the sinful nature and bridging the gap that sin causes between man and God.

Baby Jesus matured into the man that healed the sick, taught multitudes, shared God's love to outcasts, and ultimately died on the cross for each one of us.

This bridge between God and man, in the form of Jesus Christ, makes me thankful. As my friend died of cancer, I knew that her final destiny was not the box in the ground after a short period of struggling with strength for her daily tasks, but to eternal life worshiping God.

From the beginning to the end -- alpha and omega -- God is God above all. His love abounds.

For His love, I am thankful. For our time here on earth and His giving us grace and strength, I am thankful. For His calling us back to Him when our time here on earth if finished, I am thankful.

All this brought forth by the baby Jesus.

I am thankful - -even in December.

No comments: