Sunday, February 10, 2008

Where have I been?

Wow! Time flies by -- I have thought of many things to post and did not realize that I had not taken action -- for a long time.

Where have I been? Am I traveling the world seeing new sights and wonders? Have I gone south with cold blustering here in Iowa? Have I gone over seas -- visiting in countries that I would communicate in other languages or manners?

I have been right here with my activities within the church, work, and daily life. Nothing major to report. No changes to announce. Nothing new in which to inform others.

So what will I present here? How about a message that where ever I have been, I know that God is with me? Or should I pick some story from the Bible and draw out the mercies, love, and compassion of our Maker and Redeemer? Or should I pick some story from the Bible and draw out that our God is a Righteous God and desires obedience and faithfulness to Him? And then relate back my own action or inaction in response?

Maybe I should simply share something that struck me this morning during worship. Sometimes when I get so busy with what I need to do, I forget that I need to put my joys and concerns at the feet of Jesus -- allowing Him to participate in my adventure. Rather than getting on the horse and plowing along with blinders to what is happening around me, maybe I should stop and see where the path is headed. We closed the service with the hymn, "What a friend we have in Jesus" and I realized that I have not taken my cares to the Lord and put them at His feet. The other day I did enter the church, knelt at the steps in the sanctuary, and said a short prayer. But it was uncomfortable to be still, so I got in mid sentence. The prayer continued, but I walked on through to the steps going out the other side and kept going. This morning it dawned on me, that in my efforts to be effective showing His Light, I have stopped looking closely at what He would have. I have stopped looking at the Light of the World for my own light. I have not quietly sat at His feet and waiting for Him to speak.

So what is my plan? Let's see if this works, but I want to actively give thanks -- is Thankful Thursday calling to me? I want to praise Him regularly - is Sunday Psalm a good place to linger on Sunday morning / afternoon? Or maybe just sitting and sharing the struggle of following faithfully would be a step.

Or I could stop to read His Word, reflecting what the message to His people might be. And it is with that that I come this morning. A short note from the following which caught my eye of where the power of all that I might attempt comes from. My strength comes from the Lord Jesus -- as I give thanks through Him to our Heavenly Father.

"And so, as those who have been chosen of God, holy and beloved, put on a heart of compassion, kindness, humility, gentleness and patience; bearing with one another, and forgiving each other, whoever has a complaint against anyone; just as the Lord forgave you, so also should you.
And beyond all these things put on love, which is the perfect bond of unity.
And let the peace of Christ rule in your hearts, to which indeed you were called in one bond; and be thankful.
Let the word of Christ richly dwell within you, with all wisdom teaching and admonishing one another psalms and hymns and spiritual songs, singing with thankfulness in your hearts to God.
And whatever you do in word or deed, do all in the name of the Lord Jesus, giving thanks through Him to God the Father." Colossians 3:12-17

And that is my final answer... for the moment.

No comments: