Wednesday, June 6, 2007

Husband Encouragement Challenge Day 6

Creative things is easy to come up with for my husband. Although he loves stability and is a great Presbyterian because "we've always done it that way" he is very creative in the kitchen and with additions to the house to bring pleasure or solve a problem.

For example, when the kids were small, we wanted a place for them to play outside, but still be in a sheltered or confined space. So... He created and built a tree house. The door hinged to allow them playing outside in hot or cold temps. They could put the door up in summer to allow air to freely circulate -- or keep it down in the fall / winter when we need protection from the wind.

In the kitchen he will often follow recipe, but sometimes he changes it just a bit to adapt to preferred flavors or avoid allergy items. He takes a complicated recipe as a challenge -- not to be avoided, but to enjoy the making and eating.

For his job, creativity prompted his video taping the services -- including not only the text to our readings, but also the melody line. Some who watch the tape have commented on all the he includes -- thereby enabling them to enjoy and participate in the worship service when broadcast on TV (local channel).
_______

Today I go home after visiting my daughter, her husband, and my wonderful grandchild. All that we have seen for encouraging our husband has been much on my mind, but have been putting it into place through e-mails and thoughts. This challenge encourages me to be more expressive -- typically I hold back thinking that the timing is wrong or that he needs his space. On Sunday I thought of Eve in the garden -- listening to the serpent's twisting of what she had been told. How often have I been listening to the wrong voice in making decisions within our relationship? Do I freely give through God's leading or do I make excuses for what is uncomfortable for me?

One of the memory verses on InLightofTheTruth is Psalm 86:11 -- Teach me Your way, O Lord, and I will walk in Your truth. Give me an undivided heart that I may fear Your name. I praise you, O Lord, my God, with all my heart. I will glorify Your name forever -- reminds me that a relationship is a continuing process. He can teach us daily to build a husband / wife relationship.

No comments: