Friday, June 15, 2007

Husband Encouragement Challenge


The challenge to look back and see where we were in our relationship as husband / wife and to look ahead. My husband is a minister, so one would think his spiritual life is perfect. However, in our time of encouragement, I have seen him become more comfortable in sharing his faith with me -- including it in his words as a daily part of his life. His training in seminary seemed to squelch that sharing -- it seemed his view is that a minister does not want to force his faith on others, but allow them to learn for themselves the relationship with Jesus Christ. It is a strength to me as he comments on his prayer topics or items of struggle with flesh / faith. If I know he is strong in his daily walk, it is much easier to accept that God is leading him and leading us a couple, through him.

Yesterday we were to reflect on integrity within our mate. It is difficult to list items or events that show or reflect that character that is righteous, so I take the challenge to comment directly to him (or about him) when his normal response reflects integrity. For example, the church is debating about adding a parking lot. At the congregational meeting on Sunday, my husband, as moderator, had to keep the meeting moving without interjecting his own feelings on the subject. Of course, he did a wonderful job and kept composure / peace in the midst. Not everyone could have known and followed Roberts' Rules, yet keep the atmosphere welcoming. That quality within him is something I just took for granted before this challenge.

One struggle that I have is related to timing. I want things to move faster than they do (sometimes) and to have answers quicker that they come. God is helping me to see that as a faith issue -- trusting in Him with my whole heart, soul, and mind (and love your neighbor as yourself). (Memory verse: Luke 10:27) The new verse for the week fits right with this thinking: Trust the Lord with all your heart and lean not on your own understanding, in all your ways acknowledge Him, and He will make your paths straight. (Prov. 3:5,6)

On a different note: Thanks, Sarah, for encouraging us all to make our relationship with hubby better!

No comments: